25.1.23 YEAR 1 PHONICS SCREENING
WHAT IS BUG CLUB?
Bug Club is a leveled, decodable online reading scheme with interactive activities. Each child has a range of e-Books allocated to them by their teacher which ensures that they are reading books at exactly the right level for them. This works alongside the phonics learning in school.
The online reading world ensures children can access independent reading resources anywhere at any time. Bug Club books have a fantastic range of titles, which are graded into colour-coded book band levels. These are: pink, red, yellow, blue, green, orange, turquoise, purple, gold, white and lime. After this the children are then able to access 'free reader' books. Within each level there is a carefully planned progression of books. This fine progression gives children plenty of opportunity to develop their reading skills and master each fine step while moving through the reading programme.
HOW DO I LOG ON?
The website address is www.bugclub.co.uk The school ID is 6qgj
Your child's class teacher has allocated a username and password. If you lose it please ask for a reminder.
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO USE BUG CLUB?
• Find quality time to spend with your child as the electronic books are intended to be shared with an adult.
• Initially they may want to listen to the book and can do this by pressing on the speaker icon.
• Get your child to read the book using their phonics skills to sound out and blend the words together.
• Re-read the book a number of times. Your child should be able to read it independently before they move onto the next book.
• Take time over each book to get the most learning from it-two books a week is plenty if they are done thoroughly.
WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP READING COMPREHENSION?
• Understanding the book is vital.
• As you read together, talk about what is happening in the book, what might happen next, and anything that has puzzled them especially vocabulary. Get your child to re-tell the main parts of the story, using the pictures as a prompt if they need it. When your child finishes a book, ask them whether they liked it or not and encourage them to explain why.
GETTING MORE ELECTRONIC BOOKS
It is important that your child can read the books fluently and understand the information before they move on. If they race through they will not be ready for books from the next colour band and will struggle. This will really affect motivation.
HOW DOES THE TEACHER KNOW HOW MY CHILD IS GETTING ON?
The teacher is able to log on and see what books your child has accessed and how many attempts it has taken to get the answers of the activities correct.
Please ensure you are noting in their reading log when and what your child reads.
Please use the presentation link to remind yourself of the reading meeting.
Thank you to those who were able to attend. Please find attached the slides that were shared. If you have any questions or you have not yet accessed Bug Club Online please do not hesitate to ask.